Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Pin Shoot Description  

RSS
(@joe-diamond)

Handgun Pin Shoots

There are three classes to handgun pin shoots, Pistol, Revolver, and .22.

You are 10 yards from the table of 5 pins.  The table is 3 feet deep and you have to shoot them off of the table, not just knock them over.  For center fire you have 8 seconds to do this.  For .22 they are all in a line on the back of the table and you have 4 seconds to shoot them off.  These times sound short but they are more than enough time to get your shots off.  The catch is remembering to aim, I am not kidding. 

The way the shoots go is you are called by name and a number that corresponds to which lane you are in.

You go to that table and set your fire arm down and wait for the load and make ready command. 

After that command is given the next is take aim and shortly after that a fire command is given, that is when the timer starts. 

For Center fire we have three classes.

Stock Revolver.

This is a 6 shot revolver.
Iron sights and not optics.
No compensation porting or weights. 

Stock Pistol.

This is a regular pistol.
Iron sights no optics.
No compensation or weights.

Open Class.
This is every thing else that will not fit into the other two classes.

.22 class.
We have not put any limitations on this class mainly because most people use their .22 to compete in the indoor league and have them already set up with a red dot etc. 

Questions can also be directed to chester_pinshoots@comcast.net

Click here for the 2009 Pin shoot schedule and flyer.

Posted : October 1, 2009 4:55 pm
(@hovbuild)

Joe I have a suggestion for next years shoot concerning safety.  At most other pin shoots the rules are that there is NO handling of firearms in the pits. Loading of mags is OK. You can't clean, handle or repair guns in the pits at these other shoots and I would like to see this rule next year. A few times shooters have observer shooters checking their sights and dry firing while you and others were down range.  This was brought to my attention after the shoot, if I saw it I would have flown off the handle as I have been know to do. :O)  I think this would keep our great safety concerns at these shoots even better.
Also I feel that the pricing needs to be adjusted. With the clays program members get a small break, I feel we need this at the pin shoots also.

I don't want my buddy getting hurt...  😉

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 26, 2009 12:01 am
 Anonymous

Do you have to use certain ammo for this? Soft points or hollow points? Is FMJ okay?
Can I just show up one day, or do you have to go every week? I have never done this and it looks like alot of fun.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 22, 2010 6:00 am
 Rich
(@rich)
Member Administrator

Hi Ed, I'll let one of the authorities answer your questions for sure, but I do find the pin shoots a LOT of fun.  8)

I use FMJ ammo, others have used hollow point and even lead SWC.

I think everything but 38 special is allowed, but I could be wrong as I don't have a .38.

You can use a 9MM (I have), but the pins get heavy towards the end of a match and although fun and challenging, you'll be wishing for more 'power'. 😉 Even with a .45 at times you may find yourself wishing for more power!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 22, 2010 2:38 pm
(@joe-diamond)

😀  I have found that it is not worth the money to invest in any thing other then lead.  The only time you would use other is with low power light bullets ie 9mm for those use jacketed hollow points.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 22, 2010 4:30 pm
 Anonymous

The biggest caliber I have is a .45 so I would have to use that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 26, 2010 6:23 am
(@hovbuild)

.357, .40 and .44 magnums work quite well also..Let me know when you got some time to practice and I'll get you started. You can't shoot the pin range for practice unless you are qualified and I can do that after a practice session or two with me or after your first pin shoot.
  Bring your .45 and some ammo...230 hardball is fine to start with.

Bill

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 26, 2010 10:58 am
 Anonymous

Thank you. I will send you a message one day to set it up. That is very kind of you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2010 1:28 pm
 Anonymous

Thank you. I will send you a message one day to set it up. That is very kind of you.

No need to thank Bill.....he is a self-professed expert on everything except sex and dieting.
You can find Bill on the Pin Range almost any time...I think he has a tent there with a small ammo factory.  =))

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 1, 2010 7:39 pm
(@hovbuild)

I knew that "kind and thank you" thing would raise a few eyebrows...As a matter of fact I have two factory's there an ammo and target holder facility..... ::)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 1, 2010 10:49 pm